This month in history: August

Program from 1942 summer music classDU purchases Lamont School of Music

August 1941


Although music performance and appreciation had been a cornerstone of the University’s curriculum since its inception, such cultural offerings had disappeared from course catalogues between 1912 and 1920. In 1932, the establishment of a music department helped to address this omission, but a more robust program was desired. The opportunity to develop such a program came in August 1941 when the culturally conscious Chancellor Caleb Gates persuaded the Board of Trustees to purchase the financially troubled Lamont School of Music, which Florence Lamont Hinman had founded in 1924.

Comments are closed.