Looking forward to a time when physical distancing restrictions ease and fans can once again enjoy the magic of a live concert, the University of Denver’s Newman Center Presents series has announced its 2020–21 season. The series’ lineup includes several concerts rescheduled from the 2019–20 season.
“Thanks to the work of staff and artists, we were also able to move many events that were canceled due to coronavirus,” says Ramsey Walker, program manager at the Newman Center. “As we begin to gather again, community and shared experiences are going to be so important, and we eagerly look forward to welcoming everyone back.”
The Newman Center is paying attention to all state and federal health guidelines and will make adjustments if necessary, but for now the series is scheduled to get off to an early start with two National Geographic Live presentations rescheduled from the current season: Pink Boots and a Machete, featuring primatologist and TV correspondent Mireya Mayor, on July 21, and Extreme Cave Diving on Sept. 14.
The season starts officially in October, with a double dose of comedy: political satirists the Capitol Steps on Oct. 1, followed by the Daily Show Writers Comedy Tour on Oct. 4. Other highlights of 2020 include jazz artists David Sanborn (Oct. 16) and Veronica Swift (Nov. 14), flamenco dance troupe Soledad Barrio and Noche Flamenca (Nov. 22) and two holiday offerings: Christmas With The King’s Singers: Finding Harmony (Dec. 9) and violinist Mark O’Connor’s An Appalachian Christmas (Dec. 16).
Comedy and theater fans have a few performances to look forward to in the early part of 2021: Newman Center favorite Potted Potter: The Unauthorized Harry Experience returns Jan. 5–10; followed by The Office! A Musical Parody on Jan. 25; and immersive theater production Mrs. Krishnan’s Party on March 23 and 24.
They also will be a great few months for dance fans, with scheduled performances by Paul Taylor Dance Company (Jan. 28), Aspen Santa Fe Ballet (March 20–21) and season-ender Dance Theatre of Harlem (May 8-9).
On-sale dates for season and individual tickets have not yet been determined. Keep an eye on newmancenterpresents.com for more information.
2020–21 Newman Center Presents Season
- July 21: National Geographic Live: Pink Boots and a Machete
- Sept. 14: National Geographic Live: Extreme Cave Diving
- Oct. 1: The Capitol Steps
- Oct. 4: The Daily Show Writers Comedy Tour
- Oct. 16: David Sanborn
- Nov. 14: Veronica Swift
- Nov. 15: Philip Glass Ensemble
- Nov. 22: Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca: Puro
- Dec. 9: Christmas With The King’s Singers: Finding Harmony
- Dec. 16: Mark O’Connor’s An Appalachian Christmas
- Jan. 5–10: Potted Potter: The Unauthorized Harry Experience
- Jan. 14: Kronos Quartet
- Jan. 25: The Office! A Musical Parody
- Jan. 28: Paul Taylor Dance Company
- Feb. 10: National Geographic Live: Spinosaurus, Lost Giant of the Cretaceous
- Feb. 16–17: Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis
- Feb. 20–21: Kodo One Earth Tour: Legacy
- March 7: National Geographic Live: When Women Ruled the World
- March 20–21: Aspen Santa Fe Ballet
- March 23–24: Mrs. Krishnan’s Party
- March 25: Joey Alexander
- April 6: National Geographic Live: Ocean Soul
- May 8–9: Dance Theatre of Harlem